This position will be based in Palo Alto, CA .
The Skoll Foundation is seeking a seasoned, experienced executive to be its Chief Operating Officer. Reporting to the CEO, the COO drives the execution of the Foundation’s mission and strategy. The COO will be involved in driving all aspects of the Foundation’s operations and will serve as the key thought partner for the CEO The COO is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Foundation. The COO fulfills this responsibility by working across the whole management team, and other department leads.
The ideal candidate is a nimble generalist with the intellectual capacity and motivation to quickly grasp Skoll’s interconnected focus areas. The Analyst must be resourceful and hands-on, and driven to work in a lean, results-oriented environment with a high level of integrity, humility, and discretion. A collaborative nature, sound judgment, and a good sense of humor are also important characteristics to have.
- Conducting Investment Analysis
- Apply an investment framework to scope, source, select and learn from Foundation’s investments.
- Contribute to investment pipeline by sourcing high-potential social impact organizations, tracking leads in Salesforce, and maintaining relationships with pipeline organizations.
- Lead key aspects of due diligence, often working in partnership with others at the Foundation, on select grant or investment opportunities.
- Conduct in-depth research on investment opportunities, including desk research and interviews with externals stakeholders, and document findings
- Communicate balanced analysis to variety of stakeholders and present recommendations to internal stakeholders for final consideration.
- Manage relationships with partner organizations (grantee/investees), often liaising with internal stakeholders to connect grantees to others in the Skoll network and champion their impact externally.
- Contribute to team’s process for monitoring progress and impact of active investments
Providing Flexible Program Management
- Design, build, and manage workflow of Portfolio & Investments team program areas, including processes for how wesource, select, and learn from our investments in different program areas.
- Ability to manipulate large data sets and distill key takeaways on program performance and can also help drive decision making based on findings.
- Ability to manage complex, long-term projects and transparently track progress against key milestone, with the agility
to shift milestones as needed.
- Maintain team norms and processes for using in-house knowledge management tools like Salesforce, Microsoft 360, and Asana
The ideal candidate is a nimble generalist with the intellectual capacity and motivation to quickly grasp Skoll’s interconnected focus areas. The Analyst must be resourceful and hands-on, and driven to work in a lean, results-oriented environment with a high level of integrity, humility, and discretion. A collaborative nature, sound judgment, and a good sense of humor are also important characteristics to have. High potential candidates will have a pragmatic, flexible work style, with the willingness to jump from research to project management, from supporting a meeting to presenting key findings
- Candidates should have a minimum of 5 years of work experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills are imperative.
- Demonstrated experience researching, collecting, and analyzing information across multiple sectors and industries is a plus.
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- Must be able to quickly learn and consistently utilize software tools like Salesforce, Asana, and Microsoft365, especially Excel and PowerPoint skills
Additionally, the successful candidate may also have experience in the philanthropic sector combined with nonprofit or business experience.
Please send your resume and a cover letter expressing your passion for the mission and your fit for the role to TalentAndCulture@skoll.org. We will contact qualified applicants.
The Skoll Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace and encourage our employees’ differences in age, color, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, language, national origin, physical and mental ability, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, veteran status, and other
characteristics that make our employees unique.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.