Our goal is to propel Africa forward through high-growth entrepreneurship by identifying promising young African leaders and connecting them with access to markets, education, capital and support networks.
Reporting to the CEO, the Finance Director will be responsible for the efforts, results and success of the Organization’s financial planning and adherence to budgets. Further, the FD will be critical to the Organization’s fundraising success with responsibility for the financial components across all partnership and program proposals.
- Provide strategic financial recommendations to the CEO and Treasurer that when implemented translates to improved key financial ratios that are superior to the Organization’s comparable benchmarks;
- Grow external funds committed to the Organization by presenting a compelling budget and financial strategy backed by well documented, sound fiscal practices that earn the confidence of our partners;
- Directly manage and support a dedicated bookkeeper and ensure that all day-to-day accounting, budgeting and annual filing matters are completed with impeccable professional and industry standards.
- Assist the CEO in long-term budgetary planning and the establishment of realistic fundraising targets with a keen focus on benchmarking against and learning from comparable Organizations;
- Take the lead in putting together the financial / budget component of all fundraising proposals;
- Identify the right indicators and financial KPIs to be measured within the context of the unique and specific goals and objectives. Thereafter take the lead in building the mechanisms that track Organizational performance through data-driven evaluations at the intersection of financial and social impact results;
- Actively participate in presentations and pitches to current and prospective program partners and other supporters of the Organization. As part of that effort, contribute well-articulated financial assessments and compelling budget plans, particularly as it relates to enhancing the CEO pitch to prospective financial donors;
- Create, monitor and ensure adherence to budgets for each Organizational program as well as overhead structures;
- Directly manage an external bookkeeper and oversee completion of daily accounting activities;
Take the lead in most accounts receivable and accounts payable matters;
- Liaise with external advisors, the CEO and Board of Trustees in monitoring the Organization’s financial practices’ compliance with statutory regulations and legislation;
- Seek out methods and practices and develop recommendations for enhancing the Organization’s account system, particularly as it relates to minimizing financial risk, and subsequently take the lead on the implementation of those recommendations;
- Maintain relationships and represent the Organization on financial matters with all program partnerships and Organizational donors.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Financial and business acumen for competently managing a multi-million-dollar budget with previous such experience;
- Advanced degree with at least 5 years of senior financial management experience, strongly preferred from the international non-profit sector;
- Strategic minded with ability and enthusiasm to understand all aspects of the Organization;
- Proactive communicator both internally and externally, with a strong ability to develop and manage diverse relationships among a wide range of stakeholders;
- Unwavering integrity and commitment to Harambe’s mission and vision;
- Ability to handle high levels of pressure and critical decision-making in a rapidly growing, start-up like environment.
- Certified Public Accountant strongly preferred
- Ongoing professional development opportunities, including an annual stipend
- Comprehensive health coverage
- Frequent business travel opportunities
- International exposure
- A chance to change the world
The Harambe Entrepreneur Alliance is a network of highly educated, principled, young African CEOs and entrepreneurial leaders known as Harambeans, who are scaling social and business ventures across sectors.
Our vision is to realize the potential of exceptional leaders and leverage their skills and passion to build a peaceful, prosperous and equitable Africa. Our goals are to propel the continent forward through high-growth entrepreneurship by identifying promising young African leaders and connecting them with access to markets, education, capital and support networks.
With the help of exceptional corporate partners, Harambe is now transitioning itself from an all-volunteer effort to a fully staffed and institutionalized entity. Harambe intends to write its next chapter by restructuring, expanding and scaling the value proposition to its members and the communities it operates in.
Please find more information here.