Uncharted is seeking Financial Architects, for 65-80 hours over the course of three to four months, to help build strong financial and accounting models for the entrepreneurs in our upcoming programs. From diagnosing the state of a venture’s current financial affairs, to cleaning up the books, to building a financial model from which the entrepreneur can make management decisions, your role will be to step in as the temporary CFO of multiple early-stage, mission-driven ventures (both for-profits and nonprofits). Your ultimate goal? Help 2-3 entrepreneurs build internal financial systems and policies that helps them make more sound management decisions and enter investor conversations with confidence!
Our entrepreneurs are typically not financial or accounting experts (and many lack a teammate who is either!) They know how to design impactful products and services, but they don’t know how to design financial models. They know how to cast a vision, but they don’t know how to translate that vision into their financial models. They know how to build relationships with investors, but they don’t know how to give those investors confidence by building sound internal norms and financial policies.
More specifically, you will: Diagnose -> Architect -> Build -> Empower
- Your first job is to determine areas for improvement
- Work directly with 2-3 entrepreneurs (CEO and/or CFO) to understand the existing financial health of the organization
- Review their current processes for bookkeeping, forecasting, and reporting
- Work with the entrepreneur to understand their goals and how you can work to get them there
- Make suggestions to the entrepreneur based on anything you feel is missing or any gaps in financial policies you identify
- Your second job is to execute the game plan you have designed with the entrepreneur to get the ventures to its goals:
- Work closely with the CEO/CFO to execute on the plan you’ve made together. Keep in mind that this is not just an advisory position, but one where you will be in the accounting systems or models, building and updating yourself
- Some examples of work architects have done in the past include: Prepare investor-ready documents, forecast the financial future of the business, onboard the company onto an accounting system, create tools to model and analyze new programs or revenue streams, prepare the venture to take on debt, investment, or fundraise
- Your third (and most important job) will be to empower the entrepreneur to own their financial and accounting management:
- Teach the entrepreneur the principles and methods of maintaining financial health. The goal will be for them to own their finances and accounting going forward, even when you are no longer working with them.
- As you work through whatever project you and the entrepreneur agree upon, make sure to keep front of mind that you will pass this work back to the entrepreneur to own and manage after your contract ends
Reporting to the CEO, the COO drives the execution of the Foundation’s mission and strategy
This position is on a short-term, contract basis. This position is not overtime or benefits eligible. Africa.
You’ll receive a $2,500 stipend for the contract.
3-4 Months, Between Summer 2020 – Winter 2020
Typically we have a clearer timeline, but as we will be hiring Financial Architects for up to three separate programs that fall under different dates, we are able to pair a Financial Architect with the timeframe that works best for them.
Note: Outside of brief check-in meetings with each entrepreneur, the working hours are independent and flexible. There will be some weeks with lighter work, and others that are heavier (i.e. working closely with an entrepreneur to build a model for an upcoming investor meeting). We place a lot of trust in our Financial Architects to aim for 65-80 hours over the course of the contract. We understand that those hours may be distributed over the course of the contract however works best for both the architect and the entrepreneur.
You may work all the hours in the first month and very few for the rest of the contract, equal hours over the contract, or squeeze them all in at the end. We trust you to plan and execute based on what works best for you and the entrepreneur you’re paired with. To kick off the relationship, we’d also love for you to spend at least a day with us during our in-person or virtual bootcamp in Denver, depending on which program you’ll be an architect for. This is optional.
Opened on June 24 and then applications accepted on a rolling basis
Apply here (https://uncharted.recruitee.com/o/financial-architect-part-time-contractor-denver with:
- Your resume
- An expression of interest as to why you’re the perfect Uncharted Financial Architect (in place of the cover letter, please attach this in a different file)
Step 2: If you move on to the next round, we will have you do the following:
- Have an interview with the Uncharted Team
- Complete a Job-Related Challenge (which we will explain at that time. This will take approx. 3 hours)
- Provide at least 2 references
Step 3: Our goal is to make an offer as quickly as possible
Step 4:This will depend on which program you will be an architect for. In the interview process, we will discuss your preferences on timing, program, and type of company to work with.
Learn more about The 360 Group at the360group.us.