1.0 The African Enterprise Challenge Fund
The Africa Enterprise Challenge Fund (AECF) is a US$ 265 million private sector challenge fund that provides catalytic funding to enterprises in 24 countries in Sub-Saharan Africa. The fund supports innovative commercial businesses in the agribusiness, renewable energy and adaptation to climate change technology sectors with the aim of reducing rural poverty, promoting resilient rural communities and creating jobs through private sector development. AECF invests in businesses that are seen as “risky” and that struggle to meet traditional risk-return standards for commercial investors and which offer significant impact on poverty alleviation by creating jobs and sustainable incomes.
Specifically, the AECF Limited supports businesses in agriculture, agribusiness, rural financial services, renewable energy and adaptation to combat climate change. The AECF provides catalytic funding in the form of grants and zero interest loans to businesses that would not otherwise have access to adequate financing.
The AECF was launched at the World Economic Forum as an initiative of the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA). Since 2008, the Fund has been supported by donor governments namely Australia, Canada, Denmark, Netherlands, Sweden, United Kingdom, and international finance institutions such as the Consultative Group to Assist the Poor and International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD).
Since 2014, AECF has provided investment support (US $12.9m) to a cluster of 10 businesses in Mozambique, focussing on either renewable energy or adaptation to climate change technologies. The businesses have experienced a number of challenges and technical assistance is expected to help address these in the growing portfolio.
2.0 Agro – Negocio para o Desenvolvimento de Mocambique, Limitada (ADM).
Agro – Negocio para o Desenvolvimento de Mocambique, Limitada (ADM) is currently funded by The AECF Limited under the REACT (Renewable Energy and Adaption to Climate Change Technologies) funding window. The company is based in Cabo Delgado province, Mozambique. It is establishing plantations of Jatropha Curcas to produce and process seeds into biofuel and bio fertilizer to fulfil the local demand for energy while reducing overreliance on fossil fuels. AECF Limited is now further supporting ADM by providing technical assistance in the form of financial consultancy to provide advice on improving financial management systems within the business.
3.0 Purpose and deliverables of the Assignment.
Detailed review and management report on the financial systems and reporting within the business. A tax review/consultancy will also be carried out.
3.1 Specific Duties and Responsibilities of Consultant.
- Understand ADM business environment and company financial reporting and taxation responsibilities and requirements.
- Suggest ways to improve and streamline financial systems within ADM.
- Carry out context study on the regulatory requirements for businesses operating in agricultural and renewable energy sectors in Mozambique.
3.2 Output and Reporting Requirements
- Streamline ADM financial systems according to Mozambique reporting requirements.
- Identify unnecessary payments of tax and mitigate against these.
- Produce report highlighting regulatory requirements for businesses operating in the agricultural and renewable energy sectors in Mozambique.
4.0 Duration of Service
The task should not take more than 40 consultancy days, spread across max. 5 months and expected to commence by 10th November 2017
5.0 Proposal submission.
Interested and qualified (individual or institutional) consultants are invited to submit their proposal(s) comprising of the following:
- An understanding of the consultancy requirements.
- Methodology and work plan for performing the assignment.
- Detailed reference list indicating the scope and magnitude of similar assignments.
- Relevant services undertaken in the past five (5) years.
- Registration and other relevant statutory documents.
- Financial proposal showing clearly the budgeted cost for the work to be conducted by the consultant under the scope of work above.
- Minimum degree in Finance and Accounting
- Chartered/Certified Accountant registered in Mozambique
- Good Understanding of Mozambique financial and taxation regulations and requirements
To be considered, your application must be received by Monday, 30th October 2017 addressed to: email@example.com