Accion is a global nonprofit committed to creating a financially inclusive world, with a pioneering legacy in microfinance and fintech impact investing. We catalyze financial service providers to deliver high-quality, affordable solutions at scale for the three billion people who are left out of – or poorly served by – the financial sector. For more than 50 years, Accion has helped tens of millions of people through its work with more than 90 partners in 40 countries. More at http://www.accion.org.
Global Advisory Solutions:
Accion’s Global Advisory Solutions (GLAS) team provides experienced operational and management support to help build sustainable and scalable companies focused on serving the financial needs of underserved individuals and small businesses. We strengthen our partners and maximize their impact by leveraging innovations in technology and financial services to lower costs and increase quality at scale.
GLAS is a global team of advisors with hands on experience and deep technical and managerial expertise in building and supporting a range of financial service providers (FSPs). We work with organizations in emerging markets across Latin America, Africa and Asia to help them plan, implement, scale and enhance technologies and business models that can reduce bottlenecks to and catalyze the growth of financial services. In addition to our advisory work with FSPs, we contribute to industry development through case study work and research, knowledge sharing, as well as training and capacity building activities.
We are currently recruiting a Summer Associate to support GLAS with a combination of advisory work and program operations. Successful candidates will work on a variety of meaningful projects, such as conducting a sector scan for trends and innovations in data analytics, digital lending, and customer strategy; supporting development of GLAS advisory tools and processes, and contributing to key project work in Africa, Asia and/or Latin America. This unique role requires a diverse skill set, spanning management consulting, research and writing, strategic thinking, and project management with a focus on cutting edge innovation and technology in financial inclusion.
The length of this internship position is minimum 8 weeks, with a target start date of May 15, 2018.
GLAS Advisory Services
- Support team on the execution of key GLAS advisory projects, including country research, institutional analysis, tool development, and overall project management support.
- Promote knowledge sharing by documenting and disseminating project results and tools through a variety of knowledge exchange mediums such as brown bags, team meetings/debriefs, webinars, etc.
- Perform market scans for new business opportunities and create country profiles related to Accion’s key areas of focus.
- Support ongoing development of GLAS’s service offerings, including tool development and standardization, capacity building activities, industry trend research, sharing SO-related learnings across projects and regions, etc.
- Aid in GLAS performance metrics work, including tracking outputs and key performance indicators (KPIs) of our partner engagements.
- Support development of standard project management resources, processes and feedback systems for GLAS partner engagements.
- Contribute to thought leadership efforts (blogs, publications, webinars, etc.) to maximize demonstration effects and showcase lessons learned.
- Collaborate with global team and provide support to additional projects as requested.
Working with Accion’s Global Advisory Solutions team will provide a deeper understanding and first-hand exposure to Accion’s 55+ years of institutional knowledge through technical tools, resources, and materials focused on financial inclusion topics and trends in the industry. This position will work alongside colleagues passionate about working toward a more financially inclusive and interconnected world.
- Currently enrolled in an MBA or similar advanced degree program (including information technology, international development, or international relations degrees)
- Generally 3+ years of professional experience
- Strong entrepreneurial spirit and passion for market-based solutions to poverty
- Business background with technology knowledge and innovative project experience
- Strong research and analysis skills, including financial and strategy analytics
- Exceptional written, communication and presentation skills (including powerpoint); comfortable working independently and confident to query senior managers
- Willingness to embody Accion’s values of Excellence, Respect and Passion for Social Change
- Domain expertise in financial services and/or financial inclusion, particularly financial technology, payment systems, and/or innovative delivery channels such as agent banking, POS, mobile, etc.
- Financial inclusion for low income populations experience highly valued
- Experience working in or with startups or growth-stage enterprises in emerging markets
- Language skills beyond English, Spanish preferred
Please find more information here.