CrossBoundary is recruiting full-time Associates to join the new CrossBoundary office in Bamako, Mali. As a member of the Mali investment team, you will actively contribute to a powerful intervention that has the potential for significant positive impact on Mali’s private sector, in addition to building CrossBoundary’s long-term presence in West Africa. Some international travel – particularly in West Africa – is expected.
CrossBoundary is not a development firm and is not seeking typical development skills. As an Associate, you will identify and evaluate investment opportunities, conduct macroeconomic market assessments, and provide investment transaction support. You should have experience working in developing countries. French proficiency, and particularly experience in francophone West Africa or fragile states, is preferred. A background in monitoring and evaluation of donor-funded projects will be regarded favorably. You should be prepared to live and work in an austere environment.
We are open to candidates looking for a 1-2-year commitment as well as those who want to build a long-term career with our firm.
About the Team
CrossBoundary operates in frontier markets that also hold immense investment opportunities. The CrossBoundary team is a unique group made up of people who are genuinely excited by the opportunity to make a difference in some of the most challenging yet exciting markets in the world. Team members come from diverse backgrounds, but share a number of qualities: curiosity, humility, integrity, a drive for excellence, and a bias for action.
CrossBoundary offers a highly competitive salary (including benefits). When posted overseas, generous leave and living allowances are provided.
- 3+ years in top tier banking, consulting, private equity or similar
- Bachelor’s degree required; MBA or other advanced degrees preferred
- Experience working in developing countries; experience in francophone West Africa is particularly relevant
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation of donor-funded projects will be regarded favorably
Ideal Skills and Characteristics
- Strong quantitative skills; familiar with company evaluation and valuation
- Excellent financial modelling skills
- Excellent analytical ability and discipline; ability to think clearly, structure problems logically and then design and implement solutions that focus on the core issues
- Ability to build strong relationships with partners and colleagues in challenging environments
- Excellent presentation skills; ability to communicate clearly and effectively with diverse audiences
- Self-starter who is passionate about creating lasting change in fragile states and frontier markets
- Comfort with ambiguity; ability to operate effectively in a changing context
- Willingness to work and live in an austere environment
- Proficiency in French
- Transaction identification and evaluation
- Identify and rigorously assess investment opportunities
- Market assessment and ongoing market analysis
- Conduct macroeconomic, regulatory, and operational assessments
- Provide sector analysis of priority areas for investment
- Investor sourcing
- Assist in identifying qualified investors
- Manage numerous investor relationships
- Transaction support
- Assist, and often lead, team in supporting complex transactions
Location and timing
The selected Associates will join our team in Bamako, Mali in early August 2017.
Please find more information here.