Investment Associate – Venture Capital
- Are you passionate about technology, startups and the potential they have to create positive change in emerging markets?
- Are you as excited about listening to founder pitches and negotiating term sheets as you are about financial analysis, portfolio reporting and operational support?
Phandeeyar (“creation place”) is a community tech hub that is helping to develop the technology and innovation ecosystem in Myanmar. Our mission is to use technology to accelerate change and development. We bring the tech community together with civil society, independent media and entrepreneurs to build the apps, tools and content that Myanmar needs. We have an awesome 10000 square foot space in the heart of downtown Yangon. We run a coworking area, an event space and we have a busy program of activities. We have an extensive portfolio of startup programs, including Myanmar’s first tech startup Accelerator, Founder Institute, and tons of entrepreneurship events. We’ve launched many new exciting initiatives, including an open data portal and a makerspace.
Phandeeyar is looking for an experienced investment associate to support its new startup investment initiative. Working alongside our dedicated pipeline and marketing team, you will have a key role in generating dealflow, evaluating investment opportunities, drafting term sheets and investment agreements, and reporting to our management and investors. You will get a high level of autonomy in executing your responsibilities, with a high level of support from the entire Phandeeyar team, which includes close to 50 passionate and dedicated colleagues.
Key responsibilities include
- In collaboration with Phandeeyar’s Accelerator and Investment team, identify, source, and evaluate new investment opportunities
- Conduct detailed due diligence
- Conduct financial analysis on potential and ongoing investments
- Support and facilitate investment negotiations and execution
- Prepare investment memos and other documents for the investment committee
- Coordinate investor reporting and fundraising support
- Startups – You are a passionate believer in the potential of startups to be a catalyst for change. Ideally you have worked with startup investments in emerging markets in the past. Big plus if you have also worked in a startup, whether as a founder or as an employee
- Tech Evangelist – You see opportunities with technology everywhere, but you are also really good at seeing through hype, and critically evaluating commercial value propositions
- Investment Execution – You have significant experience in drafting term sheets and investment agreements, and you can hold your own in negotiations with founders at all levels. You have a “get-it-done” approach to your work, and you possess not only the knowledge, but also the persistence to see the deal through to execution.
- Analytical – You are great at identifying and articulating strengths and weaknesses in teams, value propositions and business models. You know what numbers are are important – and which ones are not – in early-stage VC investing. You are really good at analyzing diverse datasets against an investment thesis. Excel is your friend.
- Community – An important part of this role is to be one of the faces of Phandeeyar’s investment initiative. You are excited about being an active stakeholder in the Myanmar startup ecosystem, and spending a good part of your time out of office, meeting and engaging with tech entrepreneurs.
- Location: This role is based in downtown Yangon. It will involve some travel around the country.
- Hours: Phandeeyar is a start-up community tech hub. As such, it does not have standard office hours. You will often need to work evenings and weekends, however there is a “time off in lieu” policy.
- Remuneration: Will be based on experience and qualifications and will be competitive for the sector.
- To apply: Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com explaining why you are perfect for this role and attach a CV/resume (not more than two pages long).
- Note: Applicants do not need to currently be living in Myanmar. We welcome all applicants including those from the Myanmar diaspora.
For more information please visit:
Please find more information here.