The Investment Officer role is to support the Senior/Principal Investment Officer in providing management and technical support to ensure the effective development and increased number of bankable projects for Africa50 PD.
- Work across all the infrastructure sectors
- Evaluate structure, negotiate, and close new transactions, portfolio restructurings, rescheduling, capital increases, equity sales, etc.
- Develop a strong pipeline of good quality investment opportunities
- Develop innovative and appropriate financial structures for straightforward transactions
- Participate in negotiations; use negotiation skills to overcome impasses and finalize negotiations in straightforward transactions
- Work with senior staff to develop a strong pipeline of good quality investment opportunities
- Build and maintain strong relationships with clients, global and regional private businesses, banking and multilateral partners and government officials to further develop the sector and to develop specific investment opportunities
- Identify and evaluate opportunities to increase the social development impact of new or portfolio projects.
Knowledge, Skill and Experience
- At least 4-8 years’ experience in finance with a proven track-record of sourcing, structuring and closing investments
- Knowledge of relevant industry sector trends, experience in emerging markets a plus • Strong financial and credit skills; demonstrated ability to structure a variety of financial instruments (debt and equity)
- Business development and client relationship skills, track record and ability to focus on clients’ needs effectively
- Ability to interact directly and independently with the senior management of potential clients, of financial and technical partners as well as senior government officials
- Strong inter-personal skills, ability to interact effectively with clients and colleagues from various cultural backgrounds
- Ability to mentor junior investment staff.
Academic and professional qualification
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent
MBA or equivalent qualification.
- Deep understanding of how infrastructure sector investments are structured
- Strong understanding of project and concession finance
- Sound knowledge of legal, policy, tax and regulatory matters
- Fluent English, fluency in other languages, especially French is a plus
- Familiarity with the power, transport and utilities sectors.
- Interest in Africa50’s mission, strategy and values
- Culturally sensitive and able to relate to people of diverse backgrounds
- Strong negotiation skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Able to build and maintain strong relationships at all levels
- Ability to mentor and develop staff
- Highly motivated, committed to highest ethical standards
- Willingness to travel extensively
- Genuine commitment to sustainable development.