Location: Nairobi, Kenya
IFC, a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. Working with more than 2,000 businesses worldwide, we use our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in the toughest areas of the world. In FY17, we delivered a record $19.3 billion in long-term financing for developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to help end poverty and boost shared prosperity. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
IFC’s Public-Private Partnership Transactions (CASPP) within the Cross Cutting Advisory Solutions Department (CASDR) provides sell side financial advisory services and acts as Lead Transaction Advisor to governments to structure and implement public-private partnerships (PPP) transactions, primarily for public services. Its aim is to increase access to basic infrastructure (electricity, water, transportation and telecommunications) and social services (health and education) and facilitate private investments.
The department is looking for an is looking to recruit an experienced Investment Officer (IO) for its Africa team who will support the regional team and management with the whole PPP transaction process of IFC acting as Lead Transaction Advisor. The team focuses on advising on the following types of transactions, across all infrastructure sectors with a particular focus on energy and transport:
- Public-Private Partnerships e.g. BOT type concessions
- Management and lease contracts
- Restructuring and privatization of state-owned enterprises
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The selected individual will be required to lead the execution and origination of sell-side financial advisory mandates in PPPs and privatizations across the Sub-Saharan Africa region. He/she will be part of the Africa PPP advisory management team and part of the collective decision-making on strategies for business growth, pricing, targets, staffing, recruitment etc.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Proactively assist in business development by originating and managing marketing activity in assigned countries/strategic areas.
- Lead the day to day management of project teams working on sell-side PPP mandates, including review of legal and technical outputs, documentation and financial models
- Analyze structure, develop innovative PPP projects and present recommendations to clients. Manage client expectations and provide appropriate advice as necessary through proposing practical solutions.
- Manage marketing of project concepts to bidders, completing road-shows, prequalification, tendering and award, and the final negotiation of project agreements leading to financial close.
- Lead negotiations on the documentation with bidders; use strong negotiation skills to develop solutions and overcome impasses in transactions
- Coordinate closely with other parts of IFC including environmental, social, legal, other advisory, investment and World Bank colleagues in order to provide bespoke solutions to our clients to achieve sustainable development impact.
- Develop, coach, motivate and manage junior members of the team.
- Assist in other project or strategy related activities as the need may arise.
The appointee should be able to demonstrate:
- Master’s degree
- Minimum 8-10 years of relevant experience in PPP transaction advisory on buy and/or sell side, investment banking, project finance or corporate finance with a leading institution
- Strong grasp of legal documentation including risk allocation related to PPP projects including concessions as well as for privatizations.
- Proven track-record of originating, advising, structuring and executing infrastructure transactions
- Strong financial, credit and structuring skills; demonstrated ability and experience of leading a variety of complex advisory, debt and equity transactions
- Ability to interact directly and independently with the senior government officials, financial and technical partners as well as senior private sector investors in the infrastructure space
- Sound business judgment in identifying potential business partners, strong business development and client relationship skills
- Knowledge of overall industry sector trends and experience in infrastructure transactions, trends and sector developments in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated track record of working with as well as leading, motivating and managing multidisciplinary and multicultural teams
- Ability to work under pressure and deliver high quality work within deadlines to meet team objectives
- Willingness and ability to travel on short notice and frequently, as required
- Highly motivated, committed to highest ethical standards
- Genuine commitment to sustainable development
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
Please find more information here.