New York, NY – Full Time
Acumen is seeking an Associate in its New York office to work within the Global Portfolio team to help manage diverse portfolio activities, including supporting our regional investment teams around the world. This is an outstanding opportunity for a candidate with 1-2 years of investment banking, private equity, or management consulting experience, superior analytical skills, and a proven interest in global development.
Acumen is changing the way the world tackles poverty by investing in companies, leaders and ideas. We invest patient capital in businesses whose products and services are enabling the poor to transform their lives. Founded by Jacqueline Novogratz in 2001, Acumen has invested more than $110 million in 102 companies across Africa, Latin America and South Asia. We are also developing a global community of emerging leaders with the knowledge, skills and determination to create a more inclusive world. In 2015, Acumen was named one of Fast Company’s Top 10 Most Innovative Not-for-Profit Companies.
The Associate will primarily support our New York-based Director of Portfolio and other members of the Global Portfolio team with the full range of the team’s operational responsibilities. The Associate will also serve as the liaison between the Acumen’s Global Portfolio team and several other functional groups – such as Finance, Business Development and Communications – to ensure that the appropriate portfolio data and context is being shared with and fully leveraged by relevant team members. The Associate will also have the opportunity to work with other members of the New York team to help evaluate and execute new investment opportunities as they arise.
The individual in this role must be comfortable working in a fast-paced changing environment, executing quickly on a range of transactional responsibilities, as well as thinking critically to add value and solve problems.
More specifically, the Associate will focus on:
General Portfolio Management
- Manage the day-to-day oversight of our global portfolio management systems and processes
- Capture key insights and decisions made in Acumen’s Investment Committee meetings and other global team forums
- Work with the Finance team to prepare quarterly reports and annual forecasts on overall fund activity for the Board of Directors, Chief Investment Officer, and Business Development teams
- Provide ad-hoc support on the development and implementation of internal strategic initiatives
- Work with Global Portfolio team to support Acumen’s global post-investment value creation platform
- Engage in specific value creation interventions for companies within Acumen’s global portfolio as opportunity arises
- Produce practical insights based on the team’s learnings from Acumen’s investment portfolio and help devise ways for our team, our investees, and the broader ecosystem to leverage these learnings
- Share insights and data with the Communications and Business Development teams in order to inform the creation of external content
Qualifications & Characteristics
- 1-2 years of experience in investment banking, management consulting or investment management; experience with financial and operational due diligence of early stage businesses is a plus
- Superior financial, modeling and business analysis skills, as demonstrated by prior experience
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to present arguments and analysis in a clear and succinct manner to Acumen management, partners and investees
- Strong ability to take initiative with research and analysis and produce valuable results in conditions of uncertainty; solid operational skills including problem solving and project management skills, including ability to work and deliver projects independently, proactively and under pressure
- Exposure to emerging markets strongly preferred
- Capacity to work adeptly across cultures and geographies
- Familiarity with the social enterprise and impact investing sectors; demonstrated commitment to serving the poor is preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree is required
- Permanent authorization to work in the United States
Additional characteristics we’re looking for in all roles at Acumen:
- Commitment to and enthusiasm for the organization’s mission to change the way the world tackles poverty, and respect for our core values: generosity, accountability, humility, audacity, listening, leadership, integrity and respect
- Ability to thrive when there is ambiguity, remain cool-headed when there are curve balls, and withstand the tests of a rapidly changing environment with resilience and resolve
- A sense of humor (really)
Acumen offers a competitive compensation package commensurate with experience, including full benefits and a 401(k).
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. The deadline for this position is Friday, December 22, 2017.