This position has no specific location requirement and is available on a work-from-home basis though the team operates out of offices in Cape Town, South Africa, and San Diego, California.
We are recruiting a Principal to join our investment team.
The investment team’s primary goal is to find and invest in the best technology companies early on as the first institutional capital. In this role, you will coordinate and manage team efforts to identify companies we should
meet based on both signals (“what’s trending?”) and theses (“what do we believe will happen in a specific market?”), structure and manage the investment diligence and decision process, and manage an internal investment team of Associates and Analysts while developing your network in international startup ecosystems.
- Manage and perform full fund management administration and pre- during and post-investment funnel and portfolio
management functions using internal and external resources for at least one pool of capital and associated portfolio companies.
- Find interesting companies: manage an investment team of 4 professionals to proactively identify and screen new
investment opportunities and qualifying inbound leads for the firm based on quantitative signals, market theses, and a network of key relationships. You will work with fund manager general partners to identify what signals are relevant, develop predictions about how specific markets are evolving, meet with entrepreneurs, and track activity in the startup ecosystems in Africa, the US, and select European and Asian markets.
- Evaluate prospective investments: manage an investment team of 4 to plan and perform due diligence on specific
companies we are considering investing in, or review of an entire category of startups we are evaluating. Specific
functional responsibility to plan and coordinate pitch reviews, market research, competitive analysis, customer/user reviews and testimonials, analyzing metrics (financial, customer, user, engagement, etc.), understanding the history of a category, and other tasks related to the evaluation of an investment.
- Managing a portfolio of startups: functional responsibility to support portfolio investments, including regular
evaluation and strategy development with founders.
- Content development of “thought pieces” (in the form of blog posts, presentations, etc.):work with your investment team to author and co-author thought pieces for startup founder consumption as well as for more specific audiences (e.g. corporates, industry news outlets).
- Research: Perform and oversee extensive business and technology research on markets, industries, companies, and
themes that the firm is interested in investing in.
- Strong academic performance in Undergraduate and Post-graduate degrees
- Masters Degree in Finance or STEM subjects preferred.
- Post-graduate qualification with a marketing or product management major highly advantageous
- CFA charter highly advantageous
Skills, characteristics, and experience:
- 5-10 years of venture capital, private equity, or investment banking work experience, with at least 5 years of that experience at a management level
- Advanced Financial Modelling skills
- Advanced MS Excel
- Excellent researcher, able to find and extract key insights from lots of mildly useful online information and draw conclusions on the basis of findings across multiple conflicting data sources
- Highly organized, high attention to detail
- High fluid intelligence (problem-solver)
- High interest in startup entrepreneurship
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Slightly weird and highly contrarian
- Strong entrepreneurial spirit
- Able to fully understand and convincingly argue two competing sides of an argument logically and eloquently
- Not afraid of being challenged on one’s ideas
- Highly driven and pro-active with little need for guidance and takes ownership of outcomes
- Intensely curious with both an insatiable hunger to learn about new technologies and business models and the ability to rapidly learn about a new industry or sector
- Strong analytical skills to understand both quantitative data and qualitative evidence to evaluate investment
- Outlier IQ and EQ with high empathy for founders; ability to collaborate with colleagues, navigate relationships in the technology ecosystem, and ensure that entrepreneurs have an excellent experience engaging with Newtown Partners.
- Ability to synthesize complex information and communicate effectively with different audiences in English in both verbal and written formats.
- Ability to navigate tight deadlines autonomously, juggle a long list of competing priorities, and move fast without compromising sharp attention to detail.
- Working experience at a tech startup, consulting, investment banking, or venture capital/private equity advantageous.
- Experience investing in early-stage venture capital in emerging markets preferred
Salary & Employee Benefits
- Basic salary negotiable based on location, qualifications, and experience
- Share in annual investment performance bonuses
- Home office allowance
- 25 days paid annual leave
This is a senior-level position that requires prior management experience. Please send your comprehensive CV to
Applicants should ideally be located with an hour or 2 of GMT+2 to work the same office hours as our Cape Town team, but can be located (almost) anywhere. If you do not receive a reply to your application within 2 weeks, you may assume that it has been unsuccessful.
Preference will be given to applications from economically disadvantaged groups and female candidates to satisfy our diversity goals