INTERN WORKSITE LOCATION: Abuja and Lagos, Nigeria
DATES OF INTERNSHIP: May – August 2018 (flexible)
LENGTH OF INTERNSHIP: 3 months
INTERNS SUPERVISOR & CONTACT INFORMATION: Partner, Social Venture Fund
FUNDING AVAILABLE FOR THE INTERNSHIP:
Mercy Corps responsibilities
For the duration of this internship assignment the intern will receive:
- $670/month stipend
- Airplane tickets – purchased via Atlas
- ISOS Emergency Med-Evac Coverage
- Access to all investment documents, online tools, entrepreneurs, and Mercy Corps stakeholders necessary to complete the assignment
- Access to all of Mercy Corps’ online tools, materials and communications
Intern will remain responsible for all costs associated with:
- Housing accommodations
- Medical insurance
- All other costs associated with this internship
Mercy Corps is an international relief and development organization working in over 40 countries worldwide helping people build secure, productive and just communities. Mercy Corps’ Social Venture Fund is a seed stage
impact investment fund, designed to help early-stage entrepreneurs overcome barriers to growth by providing capital and targeted post investment support.
The intern will work closely with Timothy Rann (Partner, Social Venture Fund) and Mercy Corps Nigeria to complete an initial mapping of the Nigerian impact investment ecosystem. Based in either Lagos or Abuja, the SVF Intern will identify potential co-investors, accelerators, incubators, government entities and other key actors. Utilizing the Fund’s investment criteria and theses, the intern will also map potential investment opportunities, as well as notable past deals and later-stage companies.
Ecosystem Mapping and Pipeline Development
- Ecosystem Mapping: The intern will support the mapping of the wider impact investment ecosystem. The intern will provide recommendations for key partnerships and collaborators.
- Mercy Corps Nigeria: Through document reviews, staff interviews and field visits, the intern will gain a comprehensive understanding of Mercy Corps Nigeria’s current programming and three-year strategy. The intern will provide recommendations for potential linkages or areas of value-add between future investees and Mercy Corps Nigeria.
- Investment Landscaping: The intern will support the mapping of investment opportunities in specific priority sector(s) for the SV Fund. The intern will provide recommendations for sectors of focus and a strategy for the Fund’s entry into Nigeria.
- Sourcing: The intern will identify prospect companies through networking with founders, co-investors, incubators, accelerators and other ecosystem stakeholders.
- Initial Due Diligence: In close collaboration with the Partner, the intern will conduct an initial review and analyze business plans, financial models, and investment proposals. The intern will evaluate investment opportunities in terms of entrepreneur potential, market validation, impact potential, and alignment with Mercy Corps’ priorities and capabilities. The intern will make recommendations on investment opportunities to the Social Venture Team, as applicable.
The intern will work closely with the Mercy Corps Social Venture Team throughout the period. The intern will participate in weekly Social Venture team calls.
The intern will also coordinate with Mercy Corps Nigeria program, AgriFin Accelerate and regional leadership in the West Africa Region.
Through the internship, the intern will acquire:
- Exposure to the Nigerian entrepreneurial ecosystem, tech sector, investors/venture capital, and government and policy actors.
- Experience in investment landscaping, sourcing, and analysis.
- Experience in post-investment support and portfolio management.
- Exposure to innovation in the development sector.
- Experience researching and landscaping a specific sector in the West Africa region.
- Ecosystem landscape document
- Mercy Corps Nigeria program map
- Strategy recommendations
- Nigeria investment prospect database
- Due diligence reports and investment memorandums
IDEAL CANDIDATE SHOULD POSSESS THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS:
- MBA or equivalent experience
- 5 years experience developing businesses either in management consulting, finance or as part of an enterprise.
- Direct experience in the management and operations of a business and a successful record of implementation.
- Entrepreneurial mindset
- Experience with development of a business from early stage conceptualization through scale
- Strong financial modeling, business planning, due diligence, competitive analysis, and valuation skills and experience
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to get things done
- Strong strategic thinking skills. Able to navigate complex environments and develop a clear, focused, and ambitious vision.
- Prior demonstrated interest in creating positive social impact
- Ability to work collaboratively, build trust and facilitate change in organizations
- Experience working across a distributed team
Mercy Corps interns and volunteers represent the agency both during and outside of work hours and are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Diversity is powerful. To achieve transformational change, we seek out team members with different origins, beliefs, backgrounds and ways of thinking. Diversity helps us unlock complexity.
Please find more information here.