- Professions: Business Administration, Economics, International Finance,
- Experience level: 5 years
- City, country: Position may be based in Mexico City or Santiago, Chile. , Latin America
We provide entrepreneurs who are intentionally building businesses that solve social and environmental challenges in Latin America with the resources they need to grow.
What is our impact?
Purpose of the charge
Support the Accelerator Team by facilitating connections between investors and entrepreneurs, growing Agora’s Investor Network and providing growth and investment strategy consulting to growth-stage social enterprises in Latin America.
The Senior Consultant, Impact Investing primary role is to maintain, strengthen and expand the Agora Investor Network, as well as to provide growth and investment strategy consulting to growing social businesses in Latin America.
Impact Investing Coordination
- The Senior Consultant will support Agora’s efforts in facilitating capital flow to Agora Accelerator companies through the Agora Investor Network.
- Investor Network: Maintain and strong relationships with existing Investor Network members by supporting their investment pipeline development; in collaboration with the Agora Business Development team, recruit new investors into the network through research and targeted outreach.
- Investment Preparedness: Lead design, content development, and management of investment preparedness phase of Accelerator programs, in collaboration with Accelerator Manager. This includes leading capital needs calls and mock interviews, review of preparedness of each Agora company, Investment Prepared Stamp determination, and Agora Deal Book preparation.
- Investor Matchmaking: Coordinate investor-matchmaking process for Accelerator participants and alumni social enterprises – understand the capital needs of the participating enterprises and work with their respective Consultants to connect each company with potential investors. Work with investors to understand expectations and provide curated lists of investment opportunities with Agora entrepreneurs.
- Investor Retreat: Support the execution of the bi-annual Investor Retreats by promoting the event to the Investor Network, assisting in new content creation and coordination of the event.
- Metrics: Support Business Development and Operations teams in gathering and communicating statistics and stories regarding capital raise successes and challenges.
Investment and Growth Strategy Consulting
In order to fully engage with entrepreneurs, the Senior Consultant will work closely with the leadership teams of up to two companies in the Agora Accelerator, helping them to refine their business models, prepare for growth, and raise outside capital. The role will support social businesses and co-creation of investable opportunities throughout Latin America and the Caribbean.
Consultants working with their portfolio companies to create a customized consulting approach, founded on Agora’s consulting methodology, in order to address the specific challenges of each company. While the consulting is a mix of virtual and in-person interaction, a major effort is made to match Consultants to companies located nearby. Consultants also have a modest travel stipend to visit portfolio companies.
Major Consultant responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Consultant Training: During training, Agora seeks to leverage the experience of Consultants who engage in leading activities on team building, peer skills training, and knowledge sharing.
- Entrepreneur Retreat: The Retreat brings together entrepreneurs, consultants, investors, and mentors to learn and collaborate at the beginning of each Accelerator cycle. Consultants develop content, support execution, and build relationships with portfolio companies during the Retreat.
- Strategy Consulting: Consultants manage consulting with portfolio companies including diagnostic, business consulting, and investment preparedness. In the diagnostic phase, consultants understand each client’s history, business model, and challenges to be able to customize the consulting process to meet client needs. During the business model refinement phase, consultants hold weekly consulting sessions with each company to co-create strategic solutions and develop growth and investment deliverables.
- Access to Capital: The ultimate goal of the Accelerator is to facilitate access to capital. After working with each company to create investment deliverables, Consultants support companies with investor matchmaking and planning investor meetings at industry events.
Requirements and skills to work with us
We seek outstanding candidates with the finance, investment, and consulting skills necessary to work with investors and to help high-potential companies in Latin America to access the capital they need to grow their businesses and impact. Required qualifications include:
- Five to seven years of work experience related to capital advisory and investment services, investment deal structuring and negotiation, investment network development and management, financial analysis and forecasting, due diligence process coordination, and / or capital needs analysis;
- Postgraduate degree in business, finance, or related field or equivalent professional experience;
- Experience and excitement for partnerships, communications, marketing, network creation;
- Experience building and analyzing business plans, financial models, pitch decks, and growth strategies;
- Experience consulting with, advising, working with entrepreneurs and investors in emerging markets;
- Experience developing online investment platforms and communities, a plus;
- International work experience, especially in Latin America, a plus; and,
- Fluency in English and professional working proficiency in Spanish. Candidates without English fluency and Spanish proficiency will not be considered.
We are seeking passionate leaders to support social entrepreneurs. Ideal candidates exhibit Agora’s core values of agency, empathy, curiosity, and perseverance.Though there is no one “ideal” professional profile for this position, we seek the following personal characteristics in a candidate:
- Strong interpersonal skills and intercultural competence;
- Adaptability, comfort with ambiguity, ability to work in an entrepreneurial organization;
- Strong work ethic, ability to self-manage and execute on multiple projects at once;
- Excitement for and ability to work on teams and collaborate;
- Attention to detail and time management skills; and,
- Sense of joy and humor.
Profile of our work team
We believe in the power of entrepreneurship to solve the world’s greatest challenges, such as climate change, poverty, inequality, and others as outlined in the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. Yet, too many entrepreneurs face nearly insurmountable odds. We are committed to leveling the playing field for entrepreneurs by finding innovative ways to drive investment and support into people and ideas that will make our world a better place.
Reasons to join our team (What we offer)
Agora Partnerships provides the following:
- Monthly stipend of $ 2,250 USD to cover cost of living; as a Consulting Fellowship and professional development opportunity this is a stipend-based position;
- Comfortable workspace in a local co-working office;
- Air travel, airport transfers, baggage fees and lodging associated with training and Retreat;
- Air travel and modest stipend supporting portfolio company visits;
- International travel emergency medical insurance when outside home country;
- Reimbursement of any travel visa fees incurred;
- Access to Agora Partnerships’ professional networks (eg ANDE, System B, Impact Hub); opportunities to attend industry conferences (with travel and attendance covered);
- Access to networking events, an extensive network of professionals, and industry experts; and,
- Fifteen days paid vacation time plus locally recognized national holidays.
Various opportunities within Agora exist for Consultants to continue past the initial contract period based on mutual interest. Agora is experiencing a phase of rapid growth and we expect the investment arm of the organization to continue to grow in 2018.
Relevant details before applying for this vacancy
- This is a 12-month contract position starting December or January 2017.
- They will join the Agora Accelerator team for onboarding and the Agora Entrepreneur Retreat in Managua, Nicaragua from late January to late February 2018.
- The Accelerator is delivered across two cycles annually, each cycle serving 25 to 30 companies. The first cycle occurs February through May and the second occurs July to October each year.
- The Mr. Consultant will be based on their primary location March through December 2018, and may include periodic international travel to attend industry events and investor meetings.
- Position may be based in Mexico City, Mexico or Santiago, Chile Santiago, Chile. Consultant office locations are determined depending on client city and preference preference.
To apply, please send a motivation letter and updated CV to email@example.com November 15, 2017. The motivation letter should explain why you are excited for this opportunity, why you believe it is the right fit for your career, and what your strategy would be to ensure Agora is best serving impact investors with access to investment opportunities and best serving entrepreneurs with access to capital. Please do not subtract your resume within the motivation letter; Although it may be useful to mention specific examples based on past work, the letter is intended to get to know your purpose and vision more than your past experience. The CV should be a maximum of 2 pages.The motivation letter should be a maximum of 2 pages