Accion is a global nonprofit committed to creating a financially inclusive world, with a pioneering legacy in microfinance and fintech impact investing. We catalyze financial service providers to deliver high-quality, affordable solutions at scale for the three billion people who are left out of – or poorly served by – the financial sector. For more than 50 years, Accion has helped tens of millions of people through its work with more than 90 partners in 40 countries. More at http://www.accion.org.
Accion Gateway Fund:
Accion Gateway makes equity investments in for-profit, commercial enterprises that provide financial services to micro entrepreneurs and small businesses in developing countries, with the goal of building sustainable and scalable institutions and eventually enabling a financially inclusive world. As an investor, Accion takes significant minority positions (20% to 40%) in these entities and plays an influential role in the strategic direction, governance and management of the portfolio companies. Investee companies may be early stage or mature and most are microfinance institutions.
The Gateway team is a small and entrepreneurial group that is responsible for working with the regional teams to identify investments, execute deals in cross functional teams, lead negotiations with investee companies and co-investors, raise capital for investments and portfolio companies, execute deal documentation, track investments and, at the appropriate time, assist in orchestrating successful exits.
We are currently recruiting two summer associates. The associates will be an integral part of the team and will be involved in Accion Gateway’s investing activities globally, including deal sourcing, analysis/diligence, transaction closing/process management, and post-investment support to investee companies. The role will be highly entrepreneurial and analytical, spanning emerging market investing, consulting/management, with a focus on financial inclusion.
- Provide analytical support to Investment Officers on assessment of new investment opportunities, including completing prescreening analysis, conducting background research and valuation analysis, and analyzing diligence documents
- Participate in Accion’s investment process by conducting both quantitative and qualitative analysis of the regions, sectors and specific opportunities
- Facilitate Investment Officers in managing transaction negotiation and closing phases of investments
- Provide portfolio management support to portfolio companies, including performance evaluation, capital raising, and coordinating with other Accion resources to benefit the portfolio companies
- Conduct market research on microfinance and adjacent industries, economic environments, and other areas that will impact the financial inclusion industry
- Lead knowledge sharing efforts across a variety of internal parties
- Provide support on Portfolio Management initiatives, including regional portfolio reviews, modeling of Gateway fund returns analysis, performance reports generated by a portfolio management software and other related tasks on a need basis.
- Candidate for MBA / MA in Finance / MA in Economics
- Strong Excel skills in connection to financial projections & valuation analysis
- Bachelor’s Degree and 3+ years of related work experience (preferably in investment banking and/or private equity)
- Proficiency with MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel)
- Demonstrated communication skills to include excellent oral and written English language skills and ability to communicate ideas effectively
- Cultural sensitivity / ability to interact effectively with colleagues from diverse backgrounds and multi-cultural environments.
- Demonstrated ability to multitask and work with little supervision
- High level of initiative and motivation
- Willingness to embody our values of excellence, respect and passion for social change.
- Excellence:Accion staff should always put forth their best effort in all activities, strive for high quality of collective and individual performance; and demonstrate honesty and integrity at all times while in the workplace and while working on behalf of the organization.
- Respect:Accion staff should value one another’s roles and responsibilities as much as their own, be encouraging, and value the diverse and unique perspectives of colleagues. They should honor obligations and commitments to each other and to external partners.
- Passion for Social Change: Accion staff should be committed to making a difference in the lives of those less fortunate, value the greater good of the organization over personal gain, and promote a productive workplace by acknowledging the accomplishments of others.
Please find more information here.