About the Firm
CrossBoundary is a frontier markets investment advisory firm. Our mission is to unlock the power of capital to make astrong return and a lasting difference in frontier markets.
We take a transaction-centered approach to frontier markets. CrossBoundary provides investment advisory services, having developed a specialized expertise in unleashing investment across all sectors in fragile and frontier markets. Our advisory clients include governments, development finance institutions, private equity firms, Fortune 100 companies, and research institutions. Our direct investment arm, CrossBoundary Energy, finances solar projects in Africa. Learn more at www.crossboundary.com.
CrossBoundary is recruiting Summer Associates to join our South Africa investment facilitation team in Johannesburg. As a member of the South Africa investment team, you will actively contribute to a powerful intervention that has the potential for significant positive impact on Southern Africa’s investment landscape.
CrossBoundary is not a development firm and is not seeking typical development skills. As a Summer Associate, you will identify and evaluate investment opportunities, conduct macroeconomic market assessments, and provide transaction support. Experience in developing countries, particularly in South Africa, is preferred.
Summer Associate positions begin in early June and will continue until August.
About the Team
CrossBoundary operates in frontier markets that hold immense investment opportunities. The CrossBoundary team is a unique group made up of people who are genuinely excited by the opportunity to make a difference in some of the most challenging yet exciting markets in the world. Team members come from diverse backgrounds but share a number of qualities: curiosity, humility, integrity, a drive for excellence, and a bias for action.
- 3+ years in top tier banking, consulting, private equity, or similar
- Currently an MA or MBA candidate
- Experience working in developing countries; experience in South Africa is particularly relevant
Ideal Skills and Characteristics
- Strong quantitative skills; familiar with company evaluation and valuation
- Excellent analytical ability and discipline; ability to think clearly, structure problems logically, and then design and implement solutions that focus on the core issues
- Ability to build strong relationships with partners and colleagues in challenging environments
- Excellent presentation skills; ability to communicate clearly and effectively with diverse audiences
- Self-starter who is passionate about creating lasting change in frontier markets
- Comfort with ambiguity; ability to operate effectively in a changing context
Transaction identification and evaluation
- Identify and rigorously assess investment opportunities
Market assessment and ongoing market analysis
- Conduct macroeconomic, regulatory, and operational assessments
- Provide sector analysis of priority areas for investment
- Assist in identifying qualified investors
- Manage numerous investor relationships
- Transaction support
- Assist, and often lead, team in supporting complex transactions
Summer Associates will join our team in Johannesburg, South Africa.
Please find more information here.